By: Danielle Cartwright
It's January and we just headed into the New Year and here is a huge confession...planners don't really get off season's. Nope they just don't exist and we are totally fine with that! This life that we live is a blessing and we embrace the craziness. We may not get a true off-season but during our down time in the beginning of the year our team get's together and talks goals. Our business brains kick into high gear and we collaborate on everything we want to achieve.
When setting goals for my time I ask myself:
- Did we meet all the goals I put into place last January?
- If not are we at least halfway there? Or are there any items we can transfer over to this years goals that we can easily accomplish early on?
- What are my two major goals?
- What were my two major goals last year? And the year before that?
- Did we accomplish these major goals in the past?
But I hear so often from fellow friendors and creatives that this time of year is a true struggle for them. Why is that? Why do so many people get so fired up about changing their lives only to let those dreams die so fast. Studies have shown that by the second week in February over 80% of business owners give up on their goals.
Here are some of the reasons you may not be meeting your goals:
But the truth is failure is incredible! You should encounter failure along your road to meet a major goal. If not, then your goal is lame and not big enough for you. Goals should be hard to meet. They should force you to live outside of your comfort zone. Therefore you will have failures, but there is something to learn each time you are knocked down.
· YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT ALL BY YOURSELF IF YOU ARE A GO-GETTER, A BOSS GIRL, AN ENTREPRENEUR, OR AN INDEPENDENT WOMEN THIS IS MOST LIKELY YOUR DOWNFALL. IN FACT IF YOUR ANYTHING LIKE ME YOU LOATHE ASKING OTHERS FOR HELP. WHEN YOU ASK FOR SOMEONE ELSES ASSISTANCE THAT MEANS YOU ARE WEAK? RIGHT? WRONG! THAT MEANS YOU ARE SMART! MOST OF US ARE NOT TAUGHT THIS BUT WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO REACH BIG GOALS YOU NEED ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GET. AND THE MORE PEOPLE YOU TELL THE MORE SUPPORT YOU WILL RECEIVE. WITH THAT, YOU WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.
I realized last year that I was at a point in my business where I was turning away a lot of weddings because I couldn’t handle anymore on my own, I hated to admit that to myself but I needed to call in reinforcement. This feeling always seems to come before you feel 100% ready to do so, but don’t be afraid to take the leap.
· YOU DON’T TAKE PLANNING SERIOUSLY YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT ALL ON A WHIM. IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT YOU DO A LOT OF ACTIVITIES IN A WEEK. HOW CAN YOU MEET YOUR GOALS THAT ARE OUTSIDE OF YOUR ROUTINE & COMFORT ZONE IF YOU ARE NOT PLANNING? IF YOU CAN DO THAT YOU ARE #1 A SUPERHUMAN OR #2 YOUR GOALS ARE WEAK. PEOPLE WHO ATTACK THEIR GOALS AND TRULY CRUSH THEM HAVE A DEFINITIVE METHOD TO THEIR MADNESS.
So here are a few fool-proof steps if you find yourself working towards some major goals this year:
1) BRAINSTORM – HAVE A LONG CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE YOU CAN EASILY OPEN UP TO. OR FIND A QUIET SPOT AND START JOURNALING. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO CHANGE IN YOUR BUSINESS AND THE AMAZING OPPORTUNITIES YOU WANT TO CREATE FOR YOURSELF.
2) IDENTIFY YOUR BIG GOALS – ACTIVELY WRITE OUT OR TYPE UP YOUR GOALS IN A PLACE YOU CAN REFER TO IN THE FUTURE. REMEMBER THAT THE GOALS SHOULD BE REALISTIC, SPECIFIC & MEASUREABLE. Example: I want to do 4 style shoots next year (1 per season) .
3) CREATE A TIMELINE & MINI GOALS – DECIDE HOW LONG YOU WILL NEED TO COMPLETE THESE GOALS. ONCE YOU FIGURE THAT OUT BREAK DOWN YOUR GOALS INTO MINI GOALS YOU CAN MEET. DEPENDING ON YOUR TIMELINE, YOU COULD HAVE A MINI-GOAL EACH MONTH, WEEK, DAY ETC (A mini goal for a style shoot would be reaching out to photographer or securing venue).
4) DISPLAY YOUR GOALS – FIND WAYS TO REMIND YOURSELF OF YOUR GOAL DAILY. YOU CAN PUT IT UP ON YOUR CORKBOARD, MAKE THEM YOUR BACKGROUND ON YOUR DESKTOP OR YOU WALLPAPER ON YOUR PHONE.
5) DEVELOP A TRACKING METHOD – IN ORDER TO KNOW YOUR GROWTH YOU HAVE TO HAVE A TRACKING METHOD, YOU CAN DO THIS WITH PEN & PAPER, TYPE IT UP, MAKE VIDEOS ETC.
6) GET ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNERS – YOU CANNOT TACKLE A MAJOR PROJECT ALONE AND BE SUCCESSFUL. CHOOSE TO ASK AT LEAST 3 PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE TO HOLD YOU ACCOUNTABLE. DON’T CHOOSE PEOPLE WHO WILL BE SUPER NICE, OR LET YOU SLIDE ALL THE TIME. CHOOSE PEOPLE YOU DO NOT WANT TO LET DOWN.
7) WORK TOWARDS YOUR MINI GOALS
8) CELEBRATE LITTLE VICTORIES – THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT. AS HUMANS WE LIKE REWARDS FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR. SO WHEN YOU MEET A MINI-GOAL DON’T FORGET TO CELEBRATE. SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN EARLY ON FRIDAY, GO GET ICE CREAM, MEET UP WITH A FRIEND ETC.
9) REVIEW & RE-ASSESS – YOU SHOULD CONSTANTLY BE REVIEWING AND ASSESSING WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR GOAL SETTING PROCESS. AT ANY TIME IT IS OK TO TWEAK THE SYSTEM. TO DECIDE YOU MIGHT HAVE CHOSEN AN UNREALISTIC TIMEFRAME. OR THAT YOU NEED MORE / LESS MINI-GOALS. I tend to re – evaluate my long term goals every 6 months and I am constantly updating my mini-goals.
Stay tuned for part II. of our goal setting post in a few weeks!
Photography: Hannah Forsberg